Friday, January 16, 2009

Poetry mittens


Two posts in one day, I know. But I just couldn't wait to write about these: Poetry Mittens.

According to the Knitting Daily newsletter, poetry mittens are an early American tradition, where women would choose their favourite poems and knit lines from the poems into the mittens. They're pretty awesome looking.

(Boyfriend thinks they are the nerdiest/lamest thing in the world. He is lame and thus I am never going to make him that second mitten.)

The most important question, obviously, is what poem to pick.

It was evening all afternoon.
It was snowing
And it was going to snow.
The blackbird sat
In the cedar-limbs
--Wallace Stevens


Do I dare
Disturb the universe?
In a minute there is time
For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse.
--T. S. Eliot


The sea is calm to-night.
The tide is full, the moon lies fair
--Matthew Arnold


All good possibilities...but what I would likely choose:
Hand in hand, on the edge of the sand,
They danced by the light of the moon.
--Edward Lear


At least until I can choose a Finn song, anyway.

No comments: