Thursday, August 19, 2010

Dreaming of Expeditions

To summit or not to summit, that is the question. One of my Rav groups is the midst of organizing a major expedition to Sock Summit 2011, which will take place next summer in Portland, Oregon. They're coordinating hotel rooms etc., and I've been offered a spot if I want one. So I need to decide soonish if this is something I want to do. I want to go so bad.1 I think that it would be so much fun to take the classes, visit the marketplace, do the Rav-type stuff, and meet some of the people that I've spent just over two years talking to online.

As best I can figure, it would cost me somewhere between $1000-$1500, with the variable being how much money I want to take to the marketplace. And theoretically that might not be too bad--I could sock away2 about $100 a month between now and then and that would get me enough money...but can I justify spending that kind of money on what is essentially a frivolity? There are so many other things that I could do with the money.3 To say nothing of the fact that I don't know what my employment situation will be like...

Chipmunks McGee is recovering slowly. He doesn't feel very good day, I don't think, so we'll continue the resting and the Firefly re-watch. Any tips on good, protein rich soft foods?

=====
1 Which is kind of funny when you consider that I don't even really like knitting socks that much.
2 Pun intended.
1 Mostly very boring, house-related things, like furnaces and RRSPs.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

What about scrambled eggs? Or hummus?

fineskylark said...

Hummus is a no-go, but I will try him on eggs/omelettes.

Straittohell said...

Protein powder mixed with ice cream and milk in a blender. Tasty protein shake. I had those for three weeks after jaw surgery.