Wednesday, December 04, 2002

The essay for my 20th Century Lit class is now finished. I have exmained and dissected the use of tarot imagery in the Waste Land to good effect, I think , and this is one of the essays I've felt best about this year. To me, it feels solid. Of course, in the often arbitrary world of English Studies, this likely means I will end up with a 63 on it, but I remain hopeful that the Professor will welcome my ideas, and hopefully not see them as wrong or pedestrian. I really want to do well, and I know this is a good essay. I just don't know if it's what she's looking for.

But it's done, and that means I have only my Canadian history exam on Saturday left to worry about, which is a good feeling indeed.

Steph and I had our marks returned to us for the Brebeuf: Hero or Madman? presentation we did, and we scored an 83 on the presentation and a 90 on the process report we did for it, which means that things are well within the realm of Canadian literature.

I've been amusing myself during boring classes as of late by trying to reimagine the syllabus for Canadian lit. It's not so much that I have any real problems with the syllabus as it stands--everything on it is worthy in its own way, I suppose--but there is a lot more to Canadian literature than simply what we've studied, and there are definitely a lot of books and plays and poems that I would like to study within the class.

Perhaps I'll post further thoughts on what I think should be taught in a Canadian Lit courses later. Any suggestions? Who is the quintessential Canadian author?

No comments: