Thursday, December 05, 2002

Scary, scary concept: In checking the site stats (you can check them at the bottom of the page, if you'd like), I noticed that someone had come here from 'turnitin.com'.

As I'm sure most of you know, turnitin.com is designed for teachers to discourage plagiarism in their students. As far as I understand, it works almost like a search engine: the prof types in key sentences from the student's work, and it searches its database for works that contain those key phrases. This, of course, implies that someone, somewhere has hit this page when searching for plaigarism.

I suppose the logical inference is that my 18th century prof has checked out my paper on Swift's Houyhnhnms and right reason, since the thesis statement is blogged a few entries below this one. And that's not plaigarism. I have the right to post my own work, right? Don't I?

Despite this, part of me is scared that somehow, I'm going to get in trouble for blogging about my academic life at Nipissing, or that I will, somehow, have inadvertently plaigarised something. Because that would really suck.

No comments: