Tuesday, December 17, 2002

My sister is busy making out her university applications this week, and is rather unbearable as a result. Apparently I was much the same three years ago, though I don't remember it that way. She is looking at taking Early Childhood Education, Gender Equality and Social Justice, and social work-type programs. She is (hooray!) applying to Nip (for Gender Equality and Social Justice) which I find a bit funny, as I hadn't realized that it was something she'd be interested in, and also because, well, GE&SJ was better known as Women's Studies until this year. The more I think about it, though, the more it makes sense--although I'd still rather blind myself than take Women's Studies. (It's just not my bag).

University selection is such a funny thing. I applied to Queen's and York as well as Nip, and was accepted to all three for English...things certainly would have turned out differently had I not chosen Nipissing. I wound up at York earlier this year for a Canadian University Press conference and was amazed by the school: it seems unlikely I could've survived even one year there. It was so big. Most people go to high schools bigger than Nipissing is.

I think, for the most part, I am happy to be where I am, although I do find myself wondering about the possibilities, sometimes...

No comments: