Thursday, April 29, 2010

Knitting & Crochet Blog Week - Day 4

Today I am supposed to write about skills. One of the things I like about knitting is the acquisition of concrete skills that result in a concrete product. I think this is partially because English Studies is a fairly abstract field, in a lot of ways: I can write a paper, and people can read it, but chances are only a select few of them are going to have any real understanding of what I'm trying to say (and even then, some of those people are still thinking "and this helps the world how, exactly?"). But when I knit a hat, or a scarf, or a sweater, that's something tangible that people can understand. I also love that moment when something completely incomprehensible suddenly makes complete and utter sense.

I actually can't think of too many skills that I still need to acquite. There are some that I am sure I will try eventually, like entrelac, but for the moment my skill set is adequate for the things that I'm making. I would like to learn to do stranded colourwork better, though; as things currently stand, I can do it, but my gauge is so different from normal it's like I'm a different knitter.

No comments: