Friday, April 30, 2010

Knitting & Crochet Blog Week - Day Five


Today's topic is location: where do I knit? I knit in lots of places. At home, I knit in my living room, usually while watching TV or fiddling on the computer. Sometimes I listen to audiobooks (although they have to be things that I've read before, because I don't have the wherewithal to process new information while I'm knitting). I also knit in my office at work, and I try to have a project that exists only to be worked on while I'm there. This usually only works for the first few weeks of the term, when nothing is due; about a week before the first assignment, the stream of students and emails will begin to pick up, and once that's done the assignments start to come in, and I'm caught up in an endless whirl of grading. Those first few weeks are pretty sweet, though; I'll buy myself a tea and take off my shoes, curl up in my oversized office chair and listen to music while my hands work.

I also knit at Girl Tuesday's house; we will watch whole seasons of tv shows together, and her cat will hop up on my lap and settle in. He's old enough that he doesn't mind that I knit around him, unlike Bad Cat, who is still enough of a kitten that he has these fits of "MEmeMEmeME" when he deigns to sit with me (plus the usually kitteny interest in the string part of knitting). Sometimes we will go out and knit at a coffeeshop downtown, where we attract interest from older women who have forgotten how much they like knitting, and who are amazed by the kinds of things that we make.

When my friend Jessica got married this past summer, I was one of her bridesmaids. I brought my knitting with me because I knew that on the day of, we would have lots of free time: weddings are often a case of "hurry up and wait" when you're in the wedding party. Plus, I was very nearly done my February Lady Sweater, and I really wanted to finish it. One of the nice things about weddings is that there are cameras everywhere, so I actually have a couple of pictures of myself in the process of knitting.

In short, I knit a lot of places. What about you?

2 comments:

Sparky said...

I knit in cars. Not when I'm driving, obviously... But when I'm on extended road trips with Adam, I can knit while he drives... isn't that a song?

Anyways, That's where I knit best. I've really been enjoying the microblogging! :)

fineskylark said...

I knit in the car sometimes too, although not as much as I'd like. Often, when Mat's driving, it's one of the few opportunities we have to spend time together without other distractions, so we will wind up talking. (Why I can't knit and talk at the same time is beyond me.)