Thursday, July 15, 2010

Blackbirds, lost tutorials, and grey days

It is a rainy day here (or it will be soon). It's the kind of day that feels a bit like Wallace Stevens's Thirteen Ways of Looking At A Blackbird:

XIII
It was evening all afternoon.
It was snowing
And it was going to snow.
The blackbird sat
In the cedar-limbs.



Thunderstorms are due this afternoon and tonight, but for now it is just grey and damp. And I am waiting.

I've done some cleaning already, and only have the kitchen left to take care of. I thought I might reward myself by doing some sewing. (Friends both online and in town have been doing all kinds of insanely cute sewing lately, and there's nothing like a new craft to help you procrastinate on the things that you should be doing, like knitting the world's most boring man's knee sock.) The last time I had a sewing burst (just before Christmas) I cut out a bunch of lining fabric for some very cute square bottomed drawstring bags that I'd found a tutorial for online.

yarn 184

Unfortunately, seven months later I cannot find the bleeding tutorial again. My google fu has totally failed me here, and I am super sad. I still have one of the bags, so I can probably reverse engineer it from that, but I am lazy and would prefer just to find the one I used before. Today is the kind of day where I would like to make about twenty of these small project bags and just store them up. Small bag+ skein of yarn=instantly awesome gift.

I watched the Doomsday episode of Doctor Who last night, and was a bit ashamed that as Rose was telling the Doctor that she loved him, I kept being distracted by how awesome her handwarmers are, and the fact that I still have a skein of Three Irish Girls' Galenas Merino in Narcissa, which would be exactly the right colour to make those in...that said, it was a very solid episode, and I will confess to tearing up a bit at the end. I'm quite curious to see where the show goes from here.

No comments: