Saturday, July 10, 2010

Gnocchi and sushi and knee socks, oh my

Remember back when I was doing that thing where I was going to try to make at least one new dish every week? Well, it didn't end up working out to be quite every week, but Mat and I have done a pretty good job of trying to do new things, and today I tried something that I've wanted to make for a long time: gnocchi. The idea of gnocchi has always really appealed to me, but the ones at the grocery store are always made with potato flakes, which seems...kind of icky to me.

I made mine with Yukon Gold potatoes1, ricotta cheese, flour, and egg yolks. I paired them with an oven-roasted tomato sauce flavoured with onions, garlic, rosemary, and bacon. All in all, it was pretty tasty, although I do wish I had a potato ricer rather than a masher.2

The second kilt ho is coming along very slowly, but I have acquired some Big Love and Damages to keep me company as I move through it. The part that I'm on right now is the most boring part--once I hit the Eye of Partridge heel it will go much faster, I think.

Mat and I celebrated our sixth anniversary with a trip to the new sushi restaurant in town, which was quite fun. It was our first visit to "Sushi Island" and it was decent. It is not the best sushi that I've ever had, but the selection was decent, as was the service, and the price is decent for what you get. I had lots of the salmon sushi, which are my favourite, and Mat tried the Yellow Dragon roll, which has mango on top. It was a really nice way to spend the evening with him. We've both changed so much in the six years we've spent together, and it was good to take some to reflect upon the past that we share as well as what we want from our future.

=====
1 Which, for those of you keeping score at home, were engineered at the University of Guelph, where I did my MA.
2 I also discovered that we can add cooked potato to the list of vegetables that Bad Cat will eat.

No comments: