Sunday, July 11, 2010

Pontypool Changes Everything

One of my weird quirks as an adult is that I will watch movies that I own on DVD when they are on television. I don't know why I do this, but there are just some things that I have a hard time saying "no" to watching. Bruce MacDonald's Pontypool is one of those films for me. It's a strange little film: a zombie movie that takes place in a single room, inside a radio station in central Ontario. I don't want to give away the movie's twist, but suffice it to say that the story is something that appealed to me enormously. I highly recommend it if you can find a copy. It's not especially gory (there's a single scene that's bloody) but it is very tense and strange.

Speaking of tense and strange, I will be spending my afternoon and evening finishing up the remaining five episodes of Twin Peaks with a friend before he moves back to Ottawa. I'll be quite sad to see him go, even though it does give me a reason to visit Ottawa, which is one of my favourite cities in the world.

Also speaking of tense and strange, Mat and I watched Moon last night. I would highly recommend this one as well. It wasn't at all what I thought it would be, at least in terms of how the plot unfurled itself, but it was an interesting and thought provoking piece. And of course, it brings to mind one of the most important maxims in science fiction film: Never trust the robot. (Who is voiced by Kevin Spacey here.)

No comments: