Friday, July 16, 2010

Fascinated by Fascinators

Thanks to an intrepid reader, I've found a tutorial that, while not the one I had originally used1, is close enough that I should be able to recreate my favourite bags without too much trouble (and hopefully lay in a supply for future gift giving. They are good bags for anyone, even if they're not knitters). They are excellent stash busting projects. Why do I have a fabric stash? I honestly don't know. I don't sew a lot, and certainly not enough to justify the amount of fabric that I own. I seem to have a knack for finding fabric stores just as they are closing or renovating, when everything is on sale.

I've been trying to figure out what to do with my hair for the wedding. I have the world's most boring hair. 98% of the time, it just sits on my head. Every once in a while, I will put it in a pony tail, but for the most part, what you see is what you get. I have no mad skillz in the hair department. To be fair, my hair itself is no help: it is very, very fine, and wavy. (I've been growing it out, so it's okay right now because the added length helps to weight it down and keep it from doing the various wacky things it likes to do when I keep it short.)

So what I've tentatively settled on is that I'll have it put up in a bun (excellent for hiding how pathetically little hair I have) and wear some kind of awesome fascinator.2 The only problem is that most fascinators appear to cost an arm and a leg. The solution is obvious, of course: I should make one. I've sourced out various supply shops online, as I doubt I'll be able to find anything along those lines here, and once I head back to work in August I'll make an order and get cracking. I'm a bit nervous about the idea of sewing with feathers, but I think that I could, potentially, come up with something really interesting and unique.

Or just make a really big mess.

=====
1 One of the finishing techniques is substantially different
2 When mum was in Scotland last year for the Loch Ness Marathon, she kept running into people's weddings while touring around, so she has a whole bunch of pictures of some the awesome stuff the girls were wearing.

3 comments:

Lady Heather Shea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lady Heather Shea said...

You need to talk to Rebecca and ask her about Sheri in Sudbury who makes fascinators from scratch. If you want to talk to her directly email me and I'll give you her phone number. She does consignment work.
kel

fineskylark said...

Wicked! Thanks for the tip, Lady H. I will definitely look her up.