Friday, January 14, 2005

there is profit in the love of hate


I taught today for the first time. No. I didn't actually teach for the first time. I taught literature today for the first time, and it was the most wonderful, most glorious thing.

We discussed what would make up the 5 Most Influential Works in English Literature, intertextuality, poetry, and gender and sexuality. It was marvelous. One of the poems that was discussed was William Carlos Williams' Red Wheel Barrow, and one of the students had it on her in an anthology, so I wrote it in the board, and we talked a little about why it was neat. After class, she came up to me and said that our discussion had convinced her to keep the anthology, which apparently she was going to sell to the bookstore.

Lots of reading this weekend, including some academic work by Robertson Davies for my Politic of the Cross-Dressed Body class, on boys in Elizabethan theatre. I also get to review Twelfth Night...skippy.

Yay, refund mon-ay from the school. I am no longer broke.

No comments: